Home / Counseling / From the Counseling Office

From the Counseling Office

Monarch High School counselors were in the 9-11 grade classrooms in October and November to talk with students about the ICAP (Individual Career and Academic Plan) and help them update their plans. Students learned about the ICAP and the incredible tools available at their disposal through Naviance. According to the Colorado Department of Education:

The intent of the ICAP policy is to ultimately decrease dropout rates and increase graduation rates by assisting students in developing and maintaining a personalized postsecondary plan that ensures readiness for postsecondary and workforce success. An ICAP should be designed to assist a student and his or her parent or legal guardian in exploring the postsecondary career and educational opportunities available to the student, aligning course work and curriculum, applying to postsecondary education institutions, securing financial aid, and ultimately entering the workforce.

We worked with students to develop a four-year plan, complete interest and career inventories, and explore career and college options. Students and parents can access Naviance through the counseling website. Parents/Guardians can obtain login information by contacting their assigned counselor or by calling the Counseling Office at 720-561-5634.

We allowed students to make second semester schedule change requests from December 1-4. Further schedule changes will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Please remember there is very little room in classes, so changing will be limited to the following:

  • Level changes if confirmed by current level teacher and room in the next level class exists (a form must be signed by all teachers involved and guardian)
  • Adding a class to a free period. Remember, there is limited space in electives so choices may not be ideal.
  • Adding a teacher’s aid class to your schedule (form must be completed)
  • Dropping a class if not needed

Sophomores and juniors: Are you interested in attending Career and Technical Education, Boulder (CTE Boulder)? Attend the CTE tour on Tuesday, January 26. You must pick up a permission slip in the Counseling Office and return the signed form. CTE Boulder programs are available to all Boulder Valley High School students as elective credits in career and technical educational areas. In small classes, students follow a sequence of courses that provide hands-on technical skills and academic knowledge needed to prepare for an immediate career and/or further education. CTE is a state-certified Designated Area Vocational School and offers many state-approved vocational secondary programs. Certifications in CTE programs may be earned after course completions ranging from one semester to two years. CTE students with transcripted certifications are eligible to apply for articulation credit at Front Range Community College. For more information, go to:

It is time to start thinking about the classes you want to take next year! Course selection for the 2016-2017 academic year will take place on Friday, February 19, Monday, February 22, and Tuesday, February 23. Remember to think about graduation requirements, college entrance requirements, and matching your course choices here at Monarch High School to your future career and educational interests.

Seniors interested in Front Range, please be on the lookout for information about a FRCC tour that will take place in February.

Seniors: Many colleges have upcoming application deadlines so plan ahead!

College representatives from colleges all over the country (and beyond) come to the Monarch High School Post Grad Center to meet prospective students. Be sure to check out the upcoming college visits on Naviance. Students must sign up through Naviance in order to have their absence excused.

FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) went live on January 1, and seniors/parents need to submit it as soon as possible after January 1 for consideration for many financial aid opportunities as well as many scholarships. Do you need help filling out the FAFSA? We can help! Come to the post grad center for FAFSA support. Parents and guardians are welcome. Remember, you must submit the FAFSA if you want to apply for federal and state financial aid for college. Many colleges and universities, especially public institutions, also require the FAFSA. Complete your FAFSA through www.fafsa.ed.gov/ (this is the official free application through the government).


Last names beginning A–D: Erin Gee, erin.gee@bvsd.org, 720-561-4207
Last names beginning E–K: Alex Cyr, alexandra.cyr@bvsd.org, 720-561-4204
Last names beginning L–Rn: John Vidulich, john.vidulich@bvsd.org, 720-561-4210
Last names beginning Ro–Z: Jill Benisch, jill.benisch@bvsd.org, 720-561-4203

Please be sure to check out the MHS counseling website at

Monarch Counselor