Ms. LaStella, Mrs. Makely and Ms. Quigg would like to acknowledge this year’s Scholastic Art Awards winners. Each year, Monarch’s art teachers have an opportunity to submit a limited number of works to be juried for the prestigious Colorado Scholastic Art Awards Show. It is an honor for a student’s art to be selected as an entry for this show by their art teacher. It is an even higher honor to have the work accepted and awarded an honorable mention, silver key, or gold key.
This year’s winning works were exhibited in the Denver Art Museum, the History Colorado Center or the Museum of Contemporary Art during February and March. The following students received awards:
- RayAnn Garcia – her digital piece “Fishy Lines” earned a Silver key award
- Kirisi Heil – her drawing “Hail” earned a Gold key award
- Ana Orduna – her digital piece “Gossamer Tarot” earned a Gold key award
- Ally Roberts – her digital piece “Lines” was awarded Honorable Mention
- Madeleine Rumbach -her painting “Sushi” earned a Gold key award
- William Spong – his mixed media piece “Presidential Election – America Waits” earned a Gold key award
- Alison Giese – her series of functional blue striped tumblers earned two gold keys and her photograph “This is our president” earned an honorable mention.
Pictured below are Kirisi Heil and Madeleine Rumbach’s award winning pieces as well as a photo of William Spong receiving his Gold Key Award for his mixed media piece “Presidential Election-America Waits” which is included as the featured image for this story.